I suggest you ...

tell me what I am focusing on?

The simplicity of this program is a huge assist, but the point is to give me visual and audio cues to focus on that which I can accomplish in 25 minutes. Without an equally simple way to display that task, and thus quickly judge at the end of the 25 whether I've accomplished it, I'm going to be constantly harking back to what the heck it is I was supposed to be doing. If the point is to focus on the incremental tasks at hand and forget the whole momentarily, I'm not going to be doing this unless I open up yet another program to type what that is- which defeats to minimalism of this program. Allowing the option of some short task notation to display with the timer would be much better.

97 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    NicoleNicole shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • GreenGuyGreenGuy commented  · 

I agree with this, rather than the other suggestion 'select a task from a predefined list', i.e. keep it really simple and have just, say, 25 characters to type in the task you're focusing on. I think it could be psychologically advantageous to have to type in the task each time, or at least check it quickly - it reminds me what you're focusing on for the next 25 mins.

However, sometimes you need multiple pomodori to finish a task so by default it seems best to leave the task name there at the end of each completed pomodoro. For a nice simple iphone application of this, see the app that's been renamed 'Wind-up timer'.

• BrendenBrenden commented  · 

I'm almost considering making my own adobe air app that has a timer and the task at hand. If you can add the task at hand feature then I'd be over the moon happy :)

• Takchess Takchess commented  · 

task notation:number 1: It would also be helpful to pull down from a todo lists like on tada.com

• KentAndersonKentAnderson commented  · 

For me, it'd be nice to have a simple text box to type in my current task. As a technical lead on a project, I get a lot of taps on the shoulder for quick questions. I love the visual reminder to get back to work, and it'd be even more effective to have a little note to myself about what I was working on.

• MikeMike commented  · 

Quick question just in case I'm confused - is your idea different from the "select a task predefined list" idea that's also on the forum?

• NicoleNicole commented  · 

also... with this an fb log so that at the end of a day or a working period I can see what I have accomplished, and what I might want to do differently next time.

Feedback and Knowledge Base